Abby Rugg

ABOUT ME
Name: Abby Rugg
Journalism
Qualification: Gold Standard NCTJ Multi-Media Journalism Diploma. (Including 100 words-per-minute shorthand)
Employment: Worked at BBC Sport and Deltatre for London 2012.
Future Aim: To work in broadcast/production television.
Blog: Started in November 2011. Published on The Sports Investor and Value Horse Tips. Please comment on a post or follow me on Twitter.

Monday 18 June 2012

ROYAL ASCOT ENCOURAGES APPRECIATION FOR FLAT RACING

Royal Ascot begins tomorrow, arguably the most exciting flat racing event around, and great horses have already been making headlines across the globe.


Even I am incredibly interested in this year's race meeting, something that hasn't really happened in the past.

I've always been a huge fan of National Hunt racing and it's only since I've had the burning ambition to become a journalist for the sport that I have gained a greater interest in the flat.

Black Caviar is the horse that has made the flat more attractive for me: she hasn't lost a race in 21 starts and her journey from Australia to the UK had me searching her name.

 

She is a very influential mare I must admit. Of course I have always followed horses on the flat but not as regularly as National Hunt.


Big Bucks, Midnight Chase, Denman, Kauto Star, Swincombe Flame, Katchit are all huge names in NH racing that I have grown up with and consequently admired. They're the horses that have encouraged me to go to race meetings and watch them run in the flesh.


But now I want to learn more about the flat, the jockeys and trainers and discover the difference between NH and flat horses; what makes them tick, their training schemes and the obstacles they must overcome to win a race.


I want to encourage all NH lovers to do the same: watch Royal Ascot this week and find a new appreciation for the flat. Don't dismiss the idea, it can arguably be as exciting. You've just got to find a new technique to put your finger on the winner.


photo

Photo take by Jake Owens - Royal Ascot, Gold Cup Race, June 16th 2011. Taken from Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment